Contact the James Law Firm and work with attorney Fred James. If you've been hit by a uninsured motorist or involved in a hit and run then you may need a lawyer.

Being involved in a car crash is a traumatic experience – both psychologically and financially. You’re left with the task of managing property damage, injuries, medical costs, and sometimes even lost wages. And that’s when the other driver is carrying insurance. It gets even worse when the other driver is underinsured, uninsured, or the most feared – a hit and run.

HitandRuns Are on The Rise in The United States

“Deaths from hit-and-run crashes in the United States are now at an all-time high – 62% increase in 7 years – according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.” Source: ABC News

It’s illegal to flee the scene after being in an accident. However, some drivers fear the consequences of stopping, like a DUI arrest or a citation for driving without proof of insurance. It’s scary to note that 1 in 8 drivers are uninsured across the U.S., according to a 2017 study by the Insurance Research Council (IRC). Source: Insurance Information Institute

If you’re hit by someone who doesn’t have insurance or who leaves the scene, make sure to call the police right away. They can launch a criminal investigation to find the at-fault driver and will create a police report for your insurance company. Gathering the following information will make it easier for the police to find the other driver:

  • Provide details about the car: color, approximate year, model, make, license plate number
  • Look around for witnesses and ask for their contact information
  • Write down the time and location of the accident and the direction the driver was headed
  • Take pictures of the scene, especially pictures of your car and the damage

You’re probably wondering where this leaves you – especially if you’re injured and your car is totaled. Usually the at-fault driver’s insurance company would take care of the damages, but in this case – when there isn’t another insurance company involved – it can feel like you’re left on your own. But don’t worry, even if the other driver doesn’t have insurance you’re not alone.

You Are Not Alone

After calling the police, make sure to call your insurance company right away (have photos ready for them, too). You should be able to make a claim directly to your own insurance company under an uninsured motorists provision. Talk to your insurance company about your policy and make sure you have this provision. If dealing with your insurance company proves to be difficult (this can happen when the at-fault driver is at large) then contact the James Law Firm right away for a free consultation.

We are also here for you if the unthinkable happens and your loved one passed away due to a hit-and-run car crash. You will need compensation for additional damages including funeral costs, lost future income, and more. We want to make sure you don’t go through this on your own.

Call The James Law Firm

The James Law Firm has the experience, compassion, and knowledge needed to tackle even the most complex car collision cases. If you’re a victim of a motor vehicle accident and have been injured anywhere in Iowa, don’t hesitate to call us today at 515-246-8484. We represent clients in Des Moines, Davenport/Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Sioux City, Council Bluffs and more. We will travel to help you!