The time just after you have been injured can be confusing and stressful. If you’re like others, you’re left with a lot of questions … and a lot of fears as well. Fears about injuries, your finances, and what the future holds are understandable concerns.

It might feel like you’re alone in this with no one looking out for you, but fortunately, personal injury lawsuits were designed to help you gain control of your situation. An experienced attorney will advocate on your behalf until the completion of your case and will help you collect compensation for both current and future losses.

To help provide a quick reference guide, we’ve gathered answered to some of the most common questions people have about personal injury lawsuits. If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of another, we recommend contacting The James Law Firm as soon as possible.

Q. How do I know if I should contact an attorney?

A. Evaluate the incident:

  1. Did you or your loved one suffer a personal injury? Have the injuries partially or permanently disabled you? Have you missed work because of your injuries? Did you have to seek medical treatment?
  2. Were the injuries caused by the negligence of another person or entity?
  3. Do you need financial compensation for property damage, lost income, medical expenses, and/or out-of-pocket expenses?

If you answered “yes” to these questions then we recommend you contact us right away for a free case evaluation.

Q. If I’ve been injured, what should I do first?

A. Above everything else, you need to make sure that your injuries are attended to. Seek medical help and make sure you’re healthy enough to go home. Ask for copies of medical records and doctors’ notices before you leave the doctor’s office or hospital.

Make sure to file a police report if needed. (If you are unsure, contact law enforcement anyway. They are there to help, too.) Once your injuries are taken care of, notify your insurance company of the incident.

Q. What kind of evidence and information do I gather on my own?

A. Since you’re on the scene of the incident, it’s important to make sure you’re collecting evidence that your attorney can use.

  • Take photographs of damages and anything that proves who was at fault.
  • Make a list of everything that has happened after the accident (hospital visits, medical bills, calls with the insurance company, any lost work or wages, etc.)
  • Obtain a copy of the police report and get the names and contact information of any witnesses.

You don’t have to do this alone. It’s important to contact us right away for a free consultation and evaluation. We will get started on our end and let you know what else is needed.

Q. Do I need to contact my insurance company? What if it’s not for a car crash? What if the accident is a slip and fall or a dog bite?

A. You should contact your insurance company to let them know what happened; however, usually the property owner or pet owner would cover the incident on their insurance. You need to let them know that you’re wanting to file a claim through their insurance as soon as possible. Be cautious about signing any release or paperwork that offers to exchange payment of medical bills for a release from future injury claims.

Q. What should my first step be if the unthinkable happens and I’ve lost a family member to the negligence of another?

A. No one wants to focus on filing a personal liability claim while grieving – that’s where we can help. Contact the James Law Firm right away so we can start looking into your case and take some of the stress off your shoulders.

Q. Are there time limitations on filing? How do I know if it’s too late to act?

A. According to Iowa Code §614.1, you generally have two years to file your lawsuit. We recommend you contact us right away – especially if medical bills are piling up. We can offer legal advice on how best to proceed with your case and how to handle your accumulated medical bills.

Contact The James Law Firm

If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, the best advice is to consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. If you’re a victim of a personal injury anywhere in Iowa, don’t hesitate to call us today at 515-246-8484. We represent clients in Des Moines, Davenport/Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Sioux City, Council Bluffs and more. We will travel to help you!